Futsal Competition 2005
Futsal tournament was today. I thought it went okay. I supposed Ruben’s team (Fusion) was favourites to win, but then again, I’d never heard of the TBS team that eventually won. Anyway, Fusion beat Rubber Duckies for 3rd placing. Rubber Duckies suffered injury after injury, though, with Nigel being injured playing a match on Thursday and several others being seriously roughed up in some bad tempered games. Saw Terence play for the first time, reputation matches his game. Luckily, my team never challenged them…we could have gotten whacked badly.
John’s team got beat in the quarters, but they didn’t do badly at all. I hardly watched any of their games, so I can’t comment on any individual bits of performance. All I can say is that if my team played, we would never have made it past the group stage. Honestly, our playing style doesn’t even deserve anything like the winning record we’ve got. It kinda sucks. Oh well…….
Choon Keet forced me to be a referee for 4 games, and it was quite bad. I admit I’m not the quickest mind to judge moments of fast rule breaking. But the players weren’t helping much either. On top of that, I have to complain that in one of the games I was refereeing, nine players were wearing BLACK and 8 of them were Indians! They also just kept shouting at us referees even thought they repeatedly broke rules. I guess teams that are losing are always like that Admittedly, and shamefully….been there, done that. The decision not to hire FAM referees because of serious financial strain looks to have turned against us, but we couldn’t help it at the time. I just hope the teams are satisfied and enjoyed it in the end.
Anyway, one particular matter stood out above all. A Malay team with one Chinese fella that I heard consisted of scholars. These guys went out at the quarters to Fusion, but they gave their opponents one heck of a battle despite there being a little controversy. I was not present during that game (was officiating on the other court) so I can’t say anything about it. Anyway, this team (VA) was really organized and supported each other as long as they were playing. They NEVER contested the referee’s decisions, played every game with good grace and did not turn their games into bad match-ups. Even when they lost the quarters on penalties, they left with the good grace of not bitching all over the place.
Would like to thank Choon Keet and his committee for organizing the competition, Michelle and Hanna for helping out on the day itself. Some credit to Adrian and Kester for willingly officiating the games. And thanks to all the rest who showed up to help, though I suspect Vee Vian and Kavitha were there to check out the guys more than anything else. Hehe =)
-outs-
John’s team got beat in the quarters, but they didn’t do badly at all. I hardly watched any of their games, so I can’t comment on any individual bits of performance. All I can say is that if my team played, we would never have made it past the group stage. Honestly, our playing style doesn’t even deserve anything like the winning record we’ve got. It kinda sucks. Oh well…….
Choon Keet forced me to be a referee for 4 games, and it was quite bad. I admit I’m not the quickest mind to judge moments of fast rule breaking. But the players weren’t helping much either. On top of that, I have to complain that in one of the games I was refereeing, nine players were wearing BLACK and 8 of them were Indians! They also just kept shouting at us referees even thought they repeatedly broke rules. I guess teams that are losing are always like that Admittedly, and shamefully….been there, done that. The decision not to hire FAM referees because of serious financial strain looks to have turned against us, but we couldn’t help it at the time. I just hope the teams are satisfied and enjoyed it in the end.
Anyway, one particular matter stood out above all. A Malay team with one Chinese fella that I heard consisted of scholars. These guys went out at the quarters to Fusion, but they gave their opponents one heck of a battle despite there being a little controversy. I was not present during that game (was officiating on the other court) so I can’t say anything about it. Anyway, this team (VA) was really organized and supported each other as long as they were playing. They NEVER contested the referee’s decisions, played every game with good grace and did not turn their games into bad match-ups. Even when they lost the quarters on penalties, they left with the good grace of not bitching all over the place.
Would like to thank Choon Keet and his committee for organizing the competition, Michelle and Hanna for helping out on the day itself. Some credit to Adrian and Kester for willingly officiating the games. And thanks to all the rest who showed up to help, though I suspect Vee Vian and Kavitha were there to check out the guys more than anything else. Hehe =)
-outs-

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home